- Anthocyanin (in the fruit)
- Ascorbic acid
- Cyanogenic glycosides (these bad boys are destroyed with heat and are only present in unripe fruit!)
- Diaphoretic (this will make ya sweat out all the bad stuff!)
- Astringent (good for all those snotty noses)
- Antiviral (BAM! take that flus and colds!)
- Diuretic (so make sure you’re taking in your fluids, this is another elimination/detox pathway that this herb wants to keep free flowin’)
If the bark, leaves, and unripened fruit are consumed without heating them first there will be high levels of cyanogenic glycosides and this can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea. Heat destroys this and the bark (which has a lot more) is not really used…
- Upper respiratory tract infections (colds, influenza, sinusitis, rhinitis)
- The berries are great for viruses!
Click Here to learn how you can use Elderberry to make your own “flu shot”!